If salads aren’t always low in fat and carbohydrates, then how do you make one that is?
Here are a few recipes to make sure your salad is as healthy as it looks:
HOUSE RANCH DRESSING
Rumor has it that guests at the Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Program can’t get enough of the house ranch dressing, made from fat-free plain Greek yogurt. This recipe is created by the executive wellness chef and registered dietitians at the Mayo Clinic Healthy Living Program. (Lakeland Regional Health is a new member of the Mayo Clinic Care Network!)
NOTE: You can whisk ingredients together in a large bowl, if you don’t have a food processor.
- 2 cups plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
In a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until ingredients are evenly dispersed. Pause the food processor and scrape sides as needed. Serve immediately or store in a plastic container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER 2 TABLESPOON SERVING: 17 calories, 2 grams carbohydrates, 0 grams fat, 2 grams protein, 74 milligrams sodium, 1 gram sugar.
The following recipe is courtesy of Brandon Jahnke, Senior Sous Chef and Food Production Manager for Lakeland Regional Health.
LOW-FAT CAESAR SALAD DRESSING
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt or nonfat Greek-style yogurt
- 1 anchovy fillets, mashed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Toss the dressing with torn pieces of romaine lettuce and enjoy.
FLORIDA WINTER STRAWBERRY SALAD, WITH PECANS AND GOAT CHEESE
This recipe is courtesy of the Florida Strawberry Growers Association.
- 1/2 cup Florida winter strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 4 cups Florida arugula leaves or leaf lettuce
- 1 cup Florida winter strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 log goat cheese, four ounces, sliced or crumbled
- 1/2 cup dried Florida mango, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Florida pecans, toasted
Combine strawberries, vinegar and oil in a blender and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning with sugar and salt.
On four chilled salad plates, evenly distribute remaining vinaigrette. Reserve 1/3 of the vinaigrette to pass for additional use on salad, if desired. Place 1 cup of the greens on each plate. Garnish with sliced strawberries, goat cheese, dried mangoes and pecans.
Makes 4 servings.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR SALAD: 223 calories, 30 grams carbohydrates, 11 grams fat, 4 grams protein, 89 milligrams sodium, 24 grams sugar.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR DRESSING: 52 calories, 6 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fat, 0 grams protein, 141 milligrams sodium, 5 grams sugars.