By DANA SPARKS
Mayo Clinic News Network
Make a big batch of this cereal on the weekend and reheat all week.
Top with fruit or yogurt to add natural sweetness.
SIX GRAIN HOT CEREAL
- ½ cup uncooked pearl barley
- ½ cup uncooked red wheat berries
- ½ cup uncooked brown rice
- ¼ cup uncooked steel cut oats
- 3 tablespoons uncooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons of flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ quarts water
In a large saucepan, combine the barley, wheat berries, rice, oats, quinoa, flaxseed and salt. Pour water over ingredients, stir and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional information per ½ cup: 114 calories; 1 g total fat; 0 g saturated fat; 0 g transfat; 0 g monounsaturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 74 mg sodium; 21 g total carbohydrate; 3 g dietary fiber; 0 g total sugars; 4 g protein.