This September, we encourage you to reflect on men’s health issues and share your thoughts with those you love. Consider these important men’s health facts:
- Prostate cancer is the second most common cancer among American men. About 1 in every 7 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in his lifetime. It is the third leading cause of death in men older than 40 years. All men should get an annual prostate and colorectal screening starting at age 50, as the disease is extremely treatable when detected early.
- Testicular cancer is one of the most curable forms of cancer among men when diagnosed early. All males ages 15 and older should perform a monthly testicular self-exam to check for painless lumps that could indicate testicular cancer.
- Women are twice as likely as men to seek preventative care.
- Men are twice as likely as women to develop terminal skin cancer and fewer than half of adult men report using sun protection. Routine skin screenings are important, as most skin cancers are treatable when diagnosed in the early stages.
- Just like eye color, cholesterol levels can be inherited too. All men should know their cholesterol numbers.
- Physical exercise can relieve stress, reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease, lower cholesterol levels and positively affect mood.
We hope this month, and always, you aim to pursue wellness and prevent cancer. Be proactive about your health. Eat well. Exercise. Know yourself and your family history. Choose knowledge and early detection over unsettled emotions and fear. Help raise awareness and gather with friends to provide resources for cancer care and treatment.
Lakeland Regional Health was honored as one of “101 Hospital and Health Systems With Great Oncology Programs” in Becker’s Hospital Review’s 2016 listing. Our renowned specialists and caring support team seek out the most innovative procedures and highly effective diagnostics to support our patients during every step of their cancer journey. Our Urology and Urologic Oncology team recently expanded to provide you with the most advanced treatments and diagnostic techniques. From diagnosis to surgery, treatment and beyond, we are here for you.
Vigilant, informed, proactive and empowered patients have the advantage.