Lakeland Regional Employees “Walk to the Moon” in the Name of Personal Health and for the Fight Against Obesity
Thursday, April 19 2012
Lakeland Regional employees are taking part in the Tampa Bay Walk to the Moon Challenge, in which teams from throughout the region will attempt to collectively walk as many miles as it would take to reach the moon. That’s right; together they will try to conquer 238,857 miles. The Walk to the Moon Challenge began on April 4 and will continue until May 23. Through this program, Lakeland Regional’s own team, the “LRMC Moon Walkers,” are making strides to better their health. They are logging their miles, which is not limited to just walking and can include: running, bicycling, swimming, gardening, house-cleaning and more.
“We are excited to share this challenge with our employees, as the health and wellness of our workforce is a strategic priority for us,” said Karen Mitchell, MBA, SPHR, CBP, CCP, Lakeland Regional’s Total Rewards & HRIS director. “Recently, the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index ranked Lakeland and Winter Haven among its 10 most obese areas in the United States, and this is one way our employees, along with their families and friends, are fighting that statistic.”
The Tampa Bay Walk to the Moon Challenge is free and open to the entire community, and it offers prizes and an incredible online resource for those who participate.
“The web-based software allows you to track your activity, download a walking plan, and even start a nutrition diary,” said Mitchell. “It offers tips, heart-healthy recipes and a grocery list builder. It is motivating to see all of these things in one place, and it helps participants make healthy choices throughout the day.
Lakeland Regional strives to extend its culture of health to the community, and individuals throughout the Polk County area (and beyond) are invited join the “LRMC Moon Walkers” team. To join, go to www.startwalkingnow.org and follow these steps:
- Click Register (orange tab).
- Fill in required fields (Name, email, etc.).
- For Company Name, click link “search for Company Name.” Input ONE BAY for company name. A box will appear. Type “One Bay” and select “One Bay Walk Challenge.”
- For department/team field, enter LRMC Moon Walkers. The name must be exact.
- Create a password.
- Enter your health information. Please note that this information will remain confidential. It is simply used for accurate calculations for physical activities conversions.
- In order to win the prizes, it is important that you select the first box under “Preferences.” No one will see your personal information, but if you do not select this box, your miles will not be credited to you as an individual, and you will not be eligible for the One Bay’s Walk to the Moon Challenge prizes.
- Click “Submit.”
- You will receive an email with a guide to using your tracking tool.
“Through a little friendly competition and these tremendous resources, the Walk to the Moon challenge is helping make us excited about getting healthy,” said Mitchell.
For more information on the Tampa Bay Walk to the Moon Challenge, or to be a part of the “LRMC Moon Walkers” team, please go to www.LRMC.com.